Even though most parents know that tooth decay is preventable, they still have difficulty doing anything about it. That is why Trident and Twittermoms have teamed up to ask what five simple things I do for my child to keep their smiles healthy and bright. We all know how important a nice smile is!
- 1. Start early with good oral hygiene. From infant on, start brushing their gums, then teeth. That way, they are already used to doing so when it matters. Let them start using floss sticks at a young age and make it a habit. Also, make sure that once a day you go over their teeth till they are about 8 when they can do a better job brushing.
- 2. Make brushing a game with toddlers. We always pretended like Elmo (or any other favorite character) was hiding in their mouth and we had to brush them out. Kids love this and will open their mouths to let you in to brush.
- 3. Make sure they have a well-balanced diet with lots of calcium. Encourage your children to drink lots of milk and avoid juices. If you do give your children juice, water it down. They won’t even know the difference and they won’t get near as much sugar on their teeth.
- 4. As they get older, encourage longer brushing by getting a battery operated toothbrush with a timer on it or get a timer to put in the bathroom for them to watch while they brush.
- Make brushing a routine. You could even make it a family activity where everyone brushes at the same time! Role model good oral hygiene!
Why not visit Trident's website at http://www.trident.com/ or visit Trident on Facebook and click their ‘Chew 4 Smiles’ tab and learn more? You can also get a great coupon by clicking HERE.
Disclosure: I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Trident blogging program, making me eligible to get a $25 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.