This year, I decided it was time for a change. I wanted to get back to being the stylish person I was “pre-motherhood.” With that said, I am an older mother and don’t necessarily want to be super trendy, but do desire to be fashionable. And, unlike “pre-motherhood,” I don’t have the option of spending whatever I want on fashion. After all, I do have kids to feed and I don’t work. And, of course, I strive for two things: comfort and easy to clean. You never know what you might have to do as a mother and you never know what might be on sticky hands that reach out to hug you.
So, I have to be creative in the ways I bring the hottest runway trends into my day-to-day look. Here are some of my tips:
- Sometimes all it takes is an accessory to liven up an outfit. A white t-shirt and jeans paired with some great, fashionable jewelry can bring you up to date in fashion!
- Dig through your clothes. Can you pair up something old with a new piece?
- Watch for sales at department stores. Don’t forget to look for coupons or even ask for a discount.
- Shop eBay for the hottest styles for less. You can find some great deals there!
- Don’t forget to check consignment shops. You’d be surprised at what you can find there.
- Don’t forget to check stores like Target, TJMaxx, Marshalls and others, which carry stylish fashions at much lower prices. Also, pick up the basic pieces at these stores for much less.
- Sometimes, just adding one extra piece to an outfit can update it. I love the furs that are out there and just bought a faux fur vest. It is great because it can be dressed up or dressed down and I can just add it to clothing I already have.
- I think one of the quickest ways to be stylish is to purchase stylish shoes and carry a trendy purse. The same outfit with new shoes updates you instantly! And a stylish purse sets the tone of the outfit.
- Think about pairing up summer items with winter items creating a layered look.
- Look for items that are comfortable, but still stylish. If you aren’t comfortable, you probably won’t wear it much. Also, look at the care labels. If you are a stay-at-home mother, you probably don’t want to wear things that are dry clean only!
Disclosure: I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Kenmore blogging program, making me eligible to get a $50 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here