- Be prepared. Make sure you have ample school supplies. In fact, as they go on clearance, stock up on some extra supplies for when your kids run out.
- Allow your child some say in back to school clothing. Go ahead an purchase one of those overpriced must have outfits if your child really wants it. They will feel more comfortable and will feel like they fit in.
- Make sure to have regular communication with the teacher. Don't wait to hear from the teacher that their is a problem. If you are communicating all along, you will be aware if something may become problematic before it is a huge issue.
- Volunteer at school when you can. It keeps you in the loop of everything.
- Make it a point to talk to your child daily about school happenings. Ask open ended questions and make sure your child knows they can come to you if they are having a problem.
- Oversee your child's homework and progress at school so there are no surprises at report card time.
- Make sure you praise your child for their efforts at school, even if they don't get perfect grades.
- Get to know your child's friends. Have them over to your house and learn a bit about them.
- Talk to your child about how to choose good friends. You don't want them to end up in the wrong crowd.
Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Surviving the School Year with Ease
What are some other tips you might have?