Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Watch out for Poison Ivy!

Wow--poison ivy is creeping up everywhere this year!  I don't know if it is the mild winter or what, but beware! Although some people, like myself, may seem to be immune to it, that can change so take precaution!

If you are exposed to poison ivy, you should take steps to prevent the urushiol (the oil in poison ivy) from penetrating the skin by doing the following, recommended by the FDA:

  • First, cleanse exposed skin with generous amounts of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. (Don't return to the woods or yard the same day. Alcohol removes your skin's protection along with the urushiol and any new contact will cause the urushiol to penetrate twice as fast.)

  • Second, wash skin with water. (Water temperature does not matter; if you're outside, it's likely only cold water will be available.)

  • Third, take a regular shower with soap and warm water. Do not use soap before this point because "soap will tend to pick up some of the urushiol from the surface of the skin and move it around,"

  • Clothes, shoes, tools, and anything else that may have been in contact with the urushiol should be wiped off with alcohol and water. Be sure to wear gloves or otherwise cover your hands while doing this and then discard the hand covering.

  • Be careful while hiking and stay on trails.   But you also have to watch for this stuff in your yard--it creeps up into my landscaping all the time.  


    BusyMomiBee said...

    My husband just got poison ivy for the first time in his life. He did some of the things you mentioned and had to take a milk bath. Stopping by from MBC...New Follower:)

    Ruth Cox said...

    Fortunatel, I and just about everyone in my bloodline is immune to poison ivy. I discovered my grandon is immune, too. On his recent visit to my back yard he got into some a few times, and being a toddler he was pulling and tugging at it so I know the juices were flowing... no skin issues, hooRAYo!

    Donna George said...

    I am so allergic to PI it's ridiculous! I break out in huge welts and basically am miserable for weeks. I've learned to look closely and be very careful where I go and touch when out in nature. Unfortunately, this includes my yard since I have so much growing there!

    Google Analytics