It's hard to believe summer break is nearly over for us and over for others already. As we prepare for the school year, I have some tips for locking up a safe and happy school year.
- Get plenty of rest. If your kids haven't already started school, get them in the routine of getting up earlier. By getting them up earlier, they will be more likely to fall asleep earlier. This will make the first week of school less stressful.
- Talk every day to your children about what went on at school. Don't ask yes/no questions, but ask open ended questions to encourage discussions. Gently provide feedback and advice.
- Start a routine from the beginning about homework time. Will it be immediately when your child gets home from school?
- Make sure you double check your younger children's work. Sometimes, they think they have done their homework when they really haven't.
- Start the day right with a nutritious breakfast. This will keep them energized and their brains ready to learn.
- Maintain regular communication with their teacher.
- Teach your children to review schoolwork every day. That way, they won't be stressed out cramming the night before.
- Be involved with school activities. Your presence at school activities, whether field trips, volunteering in the cafeteria, or attending school sporting events can make a difference. Your child knows you are around (and might not misbehave) and you get the opportunity to know the other children and parents.
- Keep your child healthy and up-to-date with immunizations and flu shots. Also, encourage plenty of hand washing!
- Cell phones? iPads? Laptops? Other expensive equipment? Make sure your kids are set with the right kind of gear to keep things of value secure. Keep things safe with Master Lock!
You can test your safety and security knowledge by taking the Master Combo Challenge at https://www.facebook.com/masterlock
Disclosure: As a member of the Mom Bloggers Club, I wrote this post to enter in a contest for a Master Lock back-to-school prize pack.