Friday, February 19, 2016
Three Great Recipes from 200 Best Sheet Pan Recipes #sponsored
Sheet pan meals are great because everything is cooked on one pan at the same time. No worry that part of the meal will be finished before the rest. These recipes are perfect for when I get home from work--toss it all together and put in the oven. Gives me a chance to start a load of laundry, read the mail and pay bills while it is cooking.
The book also covers sheet pan meals basics--like covering the pan with foil for easy cleanup. But, if you chose the other route (no foil) tips for easy clean up are included. There are quite a few excellent tips for sheet pan cooking. Also included is "The Sheet Pan Pantry"--a list of staple ingredients to keep on hand. I really like that they include information about these products (such as the importance of placing butter in a sealable food bag or container so it doesn't pick up flavors during storage).
The first thing that surprised me about this book is that it has not only has dinner meals, but breakfast/brunch and "sheet sweets." Awesome! I was not expecting that! There is a great variety of unique recipes that I am dying to try. I am also able to share a few recipes with my readers that are simple and tasty.
Pork Chops with Roasted-Apples, Pearl Onions and Thyme, pg 34, extra simple pantry meal
Why relegate onions to the background? Here, wedges of tart-sweet apples and a sprinkle of thyme conspire to make charming pearl onions costars with meaty pork chops.
Makes 4 servings
• Preheat oven to 475°F (240°C)
• 18- by 13-inch (45 by 33 cm) rimmed sheet pan, lined with foil and sprayed with nonstick cooking spray
4 bone-in center-cut pork loin chops (each about 8 oz/250 g and 1 inch/2.5 cm thick) 4
3 tbsp olive oil, divided 45 mL
2 tsp minced fresh thyme leaves 10 mL
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 large tart-sweet apples (such as Braeburn or Gala), each cut into 8 wedges and cores removed 2
2 cups frozen pearl onions, thawed 500 mL
1. Place pork chops on prepared pan. Drizzle with 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil, sprinkle with thyme and season generously with salt and pepper. Rub seasoning all over pork, turning to coat. Arrange evenly spaced on pan. Roast in preheated oven for 12 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss together apples, onions and the remaining oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Remove pan from oven and turn pork chops over. Arrange apples and onions around chops. Roast for 12 to 15 minutes or until apples are tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the pork, without touching the bone, registers 145°F (63°C) for medium-rare.
Lamb Meatballs with Zucchini, Tomatoes and Yogurt Tahini Sauce, pg 206, pork, beef & lamb meals
Combine spiced, minted lamb meatballs, zucchini, cherry tomatoes and a splash of olive oil on a sheet pan, put it in the oven and spend the next 25 minutes relaxing, waiting for this fresh, aromatic meal to finish cooking.
Makes 4 servings
• Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C)
• 18- by 13-inch (45 by 33 cm) rimmed sheet pan, lined with parchment paper or foil and sprayed with nonstick cooking spray
1 lb lean ground lamb 500 g
3 cloves garlic, minced 3
1⁄3 cup finely chopped green onions 75 mL
4 tbsp chopped fresh mint, divided 60 mL
1 tsp ground cumin 5 mL
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
3 zucchini, halved lengthwise, then cut into 11⁄2-inch (4 cm) chunks 3
11⁄2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes 375 mL
2 tbsp olive oil 30 mL
Yogurt Tahini Sauce
1⁄2 cup plain yogurt 125 mL
1⁄4 cup well-stirred tahini 60 mL
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice 30 mL
1. Meatballs: In a large bowl, combine lamb, garlic, green onions, half the mint, cumin, 3⁄4 tsp (3 mL) salt and 1⁄2 tsp (2 mL) pepper until just combined (be careful not to overmix). Shape into 11⁄2-inch (4 cm) meatballs. Arrange meatballs on prepared pan, spacing evenly.
2. In a large bowl, toss together zucchini, tomatoes and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange vegetables around meatballs.
3. Roast in preheated oven for 23 to 28 minutes or until meatballs are browned and no longer pink inside, zucchini is tender and tomatoes are beginning to burst. Sprinkle with the remaining mint.
4. Sauce: Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, tahini and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt. Serve sauce with meatballs and vegetables.
Decadent Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, pg 220, sheet sweets
Children, including those who claim an aversion to vegetables, are drawn to carrot cake. Perhaps it’s because the carrots create a moistness that plays up the sweet spices of the cake, and accent the component everyone loves most: the tangy cream cheese icing.
Makes 24 servings
• Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
• 18- by 13-inch (45 by 33 cm) rimmed sheet pan, lined with parchment paper and sprayed with nonstick cooking spray
21⁄3 cups all-purpose flour 575 mL
21⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon 12 mL
2 tsp baking soda 10 mL
11⁄2 tsp ground ginger 7 mL
3⁄4 tsp salt 3 mL
2 cups granulated sugar 500 mL
4 large eggs 4
1 can (8 oz/227 mL) crushed pineapple, with juice 1
1 cup vegetable oil 250 mL
21⁄2 cups shredded carrots 625 mL
2 cups confectioners’ (icing) sugar 500 mL
1 lb cream cheese, softened 500 g
1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened 125 mL
1. Cake: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger and salt.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs until blended. Whisk in pineapple and oil until blended. Stir in flour mixture until just blended. Stir in carrots. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
4. Frosting: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat confectioners’ sugar, cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy (do not overbeat). Spread frosting over top of cooled cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
You can shred the carrots using the large holes of a handheld grater, or in a food processor using the large-hole grater/shredder attachment.
So, tell me, which one you will try first?